Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another day in paradise....

I remember the only day in the year when I used to visit my dad’s office. It continues to be the day of the year when it is obligatory for me to relish Moong Chawal, because it is the tradition which has prevailed from generations. It was only this day in the year when my visit to his office was inevitable. It meant so much to me, not because that I loved being in his office (no offence meant dad) but it was the only day in the year when my pocket got laden. And the visit to his office also meant that I could order any type of cuisine I wanted to have and not pay for it. The same day I used to visit my grandparents house too with the same motive. Yup, I agree that I am selfish but that small amount of money meant so much to me that time. I remember that the amount was always well spent each year, mostly in either collecting music or sports gear.

And here I am again, the same day is approaching me but the visit to dad’s office seems to be a distant dream. What does the festival of light signify to me now? Sweets, new clothes, money etc. does not thrill me anymore. Firecrackers are a no no considering the pollution levels of my city. And moreover I have realized that it is more fun to sit back and enjoy the show rather than act in it. Well, I don’t have an answer to this quest as of now but I think visiting back home is more than what I am looking at...a day where my friends and family gather together and have fun. Maybe if I can listen to some old Hindi songs with my dad and click some photographs, it would be an evening well spent. Also I would love to lighten up some diyas on the stairways to home aka heaven. This is one thing which I love on Diwali, to brighten up your home and spirits. With arms wide open you invite godess Lakshmi for her blessings. (And I was thinking that I am the only one who is selfish)

I am looking forward to the brightness and happiness this day brings to our lives though the traditional feast of Moong Chawal still frightens me till date….. Wish you all a very happy and prosperous Diwali!

Cheers as always!
Luv

2 comments:

JasTin said...

Happy Diwali to you as well Luv!

Naiya said...

Happy Diwali to you too.. I am also planning to light up my home in Durham.. have already started with christmas lights or better known as ladian :)

Smiles
Naiya